Wednesday, October 3, 2012

For The Love Of Boo Berry


This morning I woke up to find this pleasant surprise sitting on my nightstand.  Yep, nothing like a delicious box of frickin' Boo Berry!  Apparently my nephew, Nick, stopped at the store this morning and saw these on the shelf and knew that I would want some.  Now as you might guess, there is a story behind this and yes, I'm gonna tell you all about it.

When I was a kid this was one of my fav cereals.  It was def my fav of the General Mills "monster" line which included Franken Berry and Count Chocula.  Just for your information, Franken Berry and Count Chocula were introduced in 1971 followed by Boo Berry in 1972.  Wil Harrison.com, the place for learning. 

13 years or so ago when I worked at the oil refinery one night me and a couple of the other guys somehow got on the topic of breakfast cereals and I brought up Boo Berry.  We laughed like men and commented on how you never seem to see it in the stores, only it's other 2 more popular brethren.  These are the kind of situations where Wil has become somewhat famous for getting things done.

I went home that morning and dialed into my AOL account (LOL) and started searching for Boo Berry.  I found the General Mills site then contact info and went to the phones!  Wil is truly the master of getting shit done.  They don't call me The Commander for nothing. 

I called General Mills and got ahold of someone in customer service.  I explained the story to her and asked her what could be done.  She explained to me that Boo Berry is only in certain markets/retailers, etc.  I told her this would not suffice!  I needed to deliver the goods.  So that morning I ordered a case of Boo Berry directly from the factory.  I can't recall how many boxes were in their case, I believe it was 8.  I think I paid something like $50 to have them shipped to my house.

As soon as they arrived a few days later I immediately poured myself a heaping bowl of goodness that would turn my milk and excrement that eye pleasing blue hue!  As I dug into it I found it just didn't seem to be quite as good as I remembered it.   How could this be possible, I loved this shit?  I felt just like I did when MTV aired the original "Speed Racer" episodes many years back and 12 minutes into the first episode I found myself saying, "Holy shit, I used to watch this crap?"

I kept 2-3 boxes for myself and brought the rest of them to the guys at work and a couple over to my nephews.  Laughs were shared and life went on.  Time is indeed a cruel thief.  I guess you really can't go back can you? 

2 comments:

Heff said...

Hey, GodDamnit - I LOVE BOO-BERRY !! Heff can still get it without special order around here, and in the south, they HAVEN'T changed the box art !

and YES, I was very fond of the Blue-Doo-Hue, tue !

Nothin' like pinchin' off and revelling over a blue biscuit !

This comment sponsored by Pabst Brewing Co., Inc. (the makers of Green Doo Hue)

ghunny said...

ew