Monday, May 21, 2012

Thank You, Come Again


So the other morn after dropping off my brother-in-law at the workplace I decided I would visit one of our 37 neighborhood Dunkin' Donuts locations and get a couple of grease rings. No, no coffee, not for Wil. So I place my order (Boston Creme!) at the drive-thru and proceed to the window. I am greeted by a mostly friendly man of Indian descent (surprise!) who takes my money, makes change and walks away from the window to get my order. As I am sitting there looking in the approx 1 X 2 window I notice this sitting right smack dab in the middle of it:


Yes, this exact same cup as a matter of fact. Now before you get all pissy, here's the rub. I am just about 98% certain that everyone working there that morning was an owner/operator of this particular location. I mean, come on, you know they were. There were 3 people standing there in close proximity to the window and they were all in there 40s-50s and of Indian descent. Hell, they even looked exactly alike, no racism intended, LOL.

Now I don't mind people earning extra money for a job well done and Wil is and always has been a very good tipper. Waitresses, hairdressers, pizza delivery drivers, exotic dancers you bring home and then they steal all the change out of your change jar and your girlfriend's expensive cologne, sure. These people are seriously underpaid and depend on this to make ends meet. Funny sideline, when I was a kid I thought it was "ends MEAT" I looked for it in the meat department every time we went grocery shopping and never could find it. Anyway, I digress...

I guess the thing that I find strange about this is you don't campaign for tips when you are the owner of the place, at least not in my thinking. What do you think? Discuss.

Also, here is an interesting story that I borrowed the pic from.  Now in this case these are actual "workers".

Dunkin' Donuts Workers Aren't Allowed Tips

6 comments:

Colin Gillman said...

Let us have some posts from Wil Vs Food.

Wil said...

I really should, it probably would be good fodder.

Heff said...

Here's my tip - don't get a job at Dunkin' Donuts.

The Dental Maven said...

Well...I guess it's possible that they think all DD's are supposed to have a tip cup, or perhaps where they come from ALL businesses have them - from donut shops to doctors offices. Hey, it's possible.

You asked!

Wil said...

Heff - Sage advice my friend. LOL, I used the word "sage".

Mave - Yes, I did ask, thank you for your input. LOL, "input".

Wil said...

Lemme just throw one more LOL in there cause I really don't use that quite enough.