Monday, May 23, 2011

I've Got Wood!

OMG!  Does this not look frickin' cool!?  This is my '82 Ibanez SB-70 that I sent down to Alabama to be refinished by Heff's Custom Oddities.  The color is Deep Ocean by Minwax.  I've never seen an SB-70 in any other color but a "wood" color and that's what we were going for with this one, something different.  I might be picking this up in person in the next couple of days.  God Damn!

(Click on pics for full effect)

And it started like this...


I will document the full restoration in another post soon. Can't wait to get my hands on this!

UPDATE! 11/08/11 - For all of you who came here via searching for Ibanez, and Minwax Deep Ocean, etc. This guitar was actually done with a blue Sharpie marker. Yep, you read that right. Here is my excerpts from a guitar forum I'm on:

You're gonna love this one! The blue was actually done by hand with a blue Sharpie marker. Yes, a Sharpie. Originally we had picked out the Minwax Deep Ocean but he said when he tried it out it was just way too pale. He then told me not to ask him how he did it until I saw the finished product, and this is what he sent me. I am not sure of the finish coats, I just sent him an email and I'll get back to this when he responds.

From Heff's Custom Oddities:

Permanent marker color of choice on guitar, worked in (smeared to a smooth finish) using rubbing alcohol on a cloth to remove pen lines, coat with DEFT(tm) High Gloss Lacquer to taste.

Oh yeah - if someone is SERIOUSLY thinking of using my Custom Oddities By Heff guitar finish method, tell them after sanding the current finish off the guitar to FIRST stain it using black WATER BASED stain, then lightly sand that off to help accentuate the natural grain lines in the wood, THEN use the pen method.


Thanks for coming to Wil Harrison.com, check out the rest of the site whilst you're here. Rock On!

1 comment:

Heff said...

Oh, you can "get your hands on it", alright !

Geez, the ONE DAY I don't check blogs til late afternoon.

It's comin', Hoss.

....POSTAGE DUE, LMAO !!!